Notes: Atwell Mill Grove, also known as the Skinner Grove of Big Trees, is located near East Fork of Kaweah River in the Mineral King Valley of Sequoia National Park. The grove was named after Atwell Mill, a former sawmill built in 1879, which cut giant redwoods to make flume boards, posts, and shingles and provided lumber for early homes in the area. The property surrounding the mill was sold to A. J. Atwell and, eventually, to D. E. Skinner who donated the land to the Department of the Interior. Excluded from the original park, Atwell Mill Grove became part of Sequoia National Park when the park expanded on October 1, 1890.
Atwell Mill Grove includes the tree with the world's widest-known branch (Arm) and 2 of the 30 largest giant redwoods (Above Diamond and Diamond). The grove contains 3 trees larger than 30,000 ft3 (850 m3) and 1 tree larger than 35,000 ft3 (991 m3).
Atwell Mill Grove includes the following giant redwoods:
Diamond is the largest tree in Atwell Mill Grove Grove.
Photos: Pictures of Atwell Mill Grove