Notes: Long Meadow Grove is located beside Long Meadow Creek in the southern portion (Western Divide Ranger District) of Giant Sequoia National Monument.
On April 15, 2000, President William J. Clinton established Giant Sequoia National Monument when he signed Proclamation 7295, beside Proclamation Tree on Trail of 100 Giants in Long Meadow Grove, to protect 41 federally-owned giant redwood groves, several limestone caverns, paleontological resources, Native American archaeological sites, and historic remnants of early Euro-American settlement within 513 mi2 (1329 km2) of Sequoia National Forest.
Instead of naming the tree after the president, as it had done eight years earlier when President George H. W. Bush signed Proclamation 6457 beside George Bush Tree in Freeman Creek Grove, the Forest Service simply named it Proclamation Tree.
Long Meadow Grove includes the following giant redwoods:
Red Chief is the largest tree in Long Meadow Grove.
Photos: Pictures of Long Meadow Grove