Notes: National Tribute Grove surrounds sections of Cedar, Clarks, Jordan, and Mill creeks in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. From 1939 to 1949, using donations (some as small as ten cents) from thousands of organizations and individuals throughout the United States, including Garden Club of American and Daughters of the American Revolution, Save the Redwoods League purchased this 7.8 mi2 (20.2 km2) tract of old growth redwood forest piecemeal from the Del Norte Lumber Company and donated the land to Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park.
Dedicated on September 25, 1949 to honor those who served in the United States Armed Forces during World War II, National Tribute Grove, the largest coast redwood memorial grove, remains the nation's largest World War II monument. At the dedication ceremony, then National Park Service Superintendent Newton B. Drury described the grove as an ever-living "memorial of eternal gratitude" to the men and women who preserved American freedom.
National Tribute Grove includes 2 of the 30 largest trees on Earth (Hail Storm and Lost Monarch) and 5 of the 30 largest coast redwoods (Hail Storm, Lost Monarch, Del Norte Titan, El Viejo del Norte, and Sacagawea). The grove contains 3 trees taller than 350 ft (106.68 m), 6 trees larger than 20,000 ft3 (566 m3), 4 trees larger than 30,000 ft3 (850 m3), and 1 tree larger than 40,000 ft3 (1,133 m3).
National Tribute Grove includes the following coast redwoods:
1. Coast redwood located in a section of National Tribute Grove known as the Grove of Titans.
Photos: Pictures of National Tribute Grove