Notes: Nelder Grove, formerly known as Fresno Grove, is located near California Creek and Nelder Creek in Sierra National Forest. Discovered by Robert A. Eccleston of the Mariposa Batallion on April 19, 1851, this 2.4 mi2 (6.2 km2) grove was named to honor prospector-turned-hermit John A. Nelder Jr. who lived in the grove from 1875 to 1889. In 1874, Nelder filed a homestead claim for 0.26 mi2 (0.672) within the grove, near what is now known as Nelder Basin, and, in 1875, built a cabin near the grove's largest tree.
Naturalist Galen Clark first visited Nelder Grove in 1858 and discovered Nelder Tree, the largest in the grove, on July 3, 1859. Naturalist John Muir first visited Nelder Grove and met Nelder in 1878. Nelder died when fire destroyed his cabin in 1889, and his son Claudius, who inherited the estate, sold the property to the Madera Flume and Trading Company in 1892. The property transferred to the Madera Sugar Pine Company in 1900, and the United States Forest Service aquired the land surrounding Nelder Grove in 1928.
Nelder Grove includes 1 of the 30 largest giant redwoods and the largest tree in Sierra National Forest (Nelder). The grove contains 3 trees larger than 25,000 ft3 (708 m3) and 1 tree larger than 30,000 ft3 (850 m3).
Nelder is the largest tree in Nelder Grove.
Nelder Grove includes the following giant redwoods:
Photos: Pictures of Nelder Grove